Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dealing with homework blues


Six ways to make sure your children get their homework done.

THE homework wars have started.

Three years before I thought I would have to nag at my son, Julian, now aged 4½, to complete his schoolwork in primary school, I found myself having to persuade him to finish his abacus-class exercises.

To be fair, it was not homework per se, but some leftover bead-counting exercises his teachers gave the kids in class during their twice-weekly 1½-hour sessions.

Julian, who can be a slowpoke dreamer at times, probably got too wrapped up in other things (if he is anything like me at that age, those things would be chattering with his friends) and could not finish the work.

His teachers, then, allowed him to finish it at home.

So, there we were, one evening, with his abacus workbook open on the dining table, as the boy capered around.

Me: "Finish your work, then have a shower."

Julian: "But I'm tired! Can I just do one page?"

Me: "No bargaining!"

Oops. Even as the words left my mouth, I knew I was replicating a conversation I had with my own mother as a schoolgirl.

In the end, the Supportive Spouse managed to cajole his son into finishing the sums by promising a reward, and with copious amounts of encouragement.

But it got me to thinking that there is no denying homework is a subject of much contest and heartache between parents and children.

It is something that must be dealt with, one way or another.

With this in mind, I trawled the Internet for some advice on how to head off homework blues, and found these tips:

1. SCHEDULE IT

Set aside a regular time slot during which homework takes priority, and let the kids know that it is important.

Make sure they are fed, comfortable and alert - just before bedtime is probably not a good idea - so that they can concentrate on the task at hand.

A quiet designated area for homework, with all their materials, like pencils, erasers and sharpeners, within easy reach, will also help.

2. REWARD AND PRAISE

Leverage on something that your child likes to get him or her to get through homework as quickly as possible.

For instance, withhold television or computer games until your kid finishes the work.

Praise or reward your kid after the work is done.

Positive reinforcement goes a long way.
3. TIME IT

Set an egg timer or alarm clock to ring every 15 to 25 minutes. Let your child know that he can take a short break if he is not done with work by then.

A longer homework task will seem less daunting broken up in this way.

4. PLAN IT

Keep the lines of communication open. Speak regularly to your child's teacher, classmates or classmates' parents, to find out what is required for various assignments or projects.

That way, you will always be on top of what your child needs to do, and can plan a schedule ahead.

And you will also know if junior tries to wriggle out of something by claiming he does not need to do it.

5. SHARE IT

They say, Misery loves company.

The tedium of homework can be alleviated a little if one parent is available in the same room, ready to respond to questions.

I like being in the study working on my coursework, while Julian sits beside me, musing over his workbooks or craft activities.

6. LEARN IT

Consider what your child's learning habits are like, and employ suitable tactics. For example, if your child is a speed demon who rushes through work, allowing him to multi-task by listening to music while he works might help him to slow down and enjoy the process more.

A perfectionist child might need a cheerleader parent, constantly encouraging and calming him down as he tears his hair out over assignments.

Clara Chow | my paper | Mon Oct 11 2010

No comments: